Missed oppertunites...

I recently had the opportunity to give some honest feedback to a cultural leader and I bottled it.

I was part of a group who were exploring change within an arts organisation who had opened their doors to us to allow us to share and reflect on a challenge they were facing. Throughout the process we became aware that the cultural leader who was sharing the challenge was part of the problem. She would not enter into a dialogue with us about our reflections and it became apparent that her leadership should have been brought into question. The group and I however did not step up and challenge this. We sat in a place of abstract reflection and did not go to the heart of what we really wanted to say, which was "Where is your leadership in all of this?". If we had had the courage to ask those difficult questions then possibly the cultural leader would have gained more insight into her leadership and the impact that was having on the organisation.

So what is the solution. Courage! To have the courage to step up in those moments and lead, give feedback, reflect, say the thing everyone's thinking... I always say to actors that if they don't have butterflies before going on stage then I am worried. As leaders we should have more pre-show nerves; it tells us we are learning, having impact and stepping up to a challenge.

My moment came and went with that particular cultural leader and it left me feeling very frustrated. It, however, has taught me to seize the moment and have the courage to step up.

A large serving of pre-show butterflies please!

0 Comments...:

Post a Comment

top