Its all (loose) change...

“Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.” Robert C. Gallagher


In my experience, leaders of change often make the mistake of assuming that it’s all up to them to “make it happen.” – I know I did. So, they get out of the truck and start pushing; long days and long nights in the office; speaking from the soap box; being in many places at the same time; micromanaging…hypertension, here I come!

What I think we should be doing, as leaders of change, is applying the appropriate kind of leverage: formal power, peer pressure, well designed incentives, grassroots movement, influencing techniques and so on. You’ll turn the truck around if you know which controls to use.

I have been in organisations where people take some very loose orders from ‘upstairs’, jump on their horses and gallop into the fog. At some point, no one is sure where they are. Some dismantle and walk, eventually stopping altogether, some still ride into the fog for a while, but eventually, everyone is lost, confused, frustrated. The leaders thank everyone for their valiant effort and declare success.

The bottom line is the need to measure progress, adjust the means and, if needed, have the courage to change direction. Only then will we make it through adversity, uncertainty and the changing ‘foggy’ landscape.

So how do I feel about being a better Change Leader? Well, it is all very easy for me to finger point at the people who I think have dealt with change badly (notice I didn’t say lead). However, I am sure that I have been one of those leaders who charge their troops into the fog without a map. I need to accept that if change is inevitable I should make sure me and my troops know where we want to be going especially if we are not sure how we are going to get there.

I have just got Civil Partnered and more than ever I am feeling change – and, to be honest, loving it. I have not been given a map but me and my partner know exactly where we are going and looking forward to the journey.


"People don't resist change. They resist being changed!" Peter Senge

0 Comments...:

Post a Comment

top